Today was an exciting day for Volkswagen at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show. With the announcement of the VW 7-Passenger SUV for 2016 and then the unveiling of the 2015 redesigned VW Golf R. The release date for the all new Golf-R will be first quarter of 2015.
Andres Valbuena @ Volkswagen gave us some new specs for the 2015 Golf R:
- Zero to 62 mph in just 4.9 seconds (DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmission).
- Advanced EA888 four-cylinder turbocharged direct-injection 2.0-liter engine. How is it “advanced” from the other EA888 engine found in the GTI? The cylinder head (along with exhaust valves, valve seats and springs), pistons, high-pressure injection system, and turbocharger have all been updated or completely redesigned for performance.
- Estimated 290 horsepower at 5,500 RPM, making it one of the world’s most powerful four-cylinder production engines. Maximum torque upped to 280 pound-feet.
- Water-cooled exhaust gas channels running through the cylinder head to the turbocharger.
- The all-new Golf R is equipped with 4MOTION all-wheel-drive. Adding in the 5th Generation Haldex® coupling, the latest-generation 4MOTION system is activated before any wheel spin occurs, so there is nearly no traction loss.
- A control unit continually calculates the ideal drive torque for the rear wheels and controls how much the multi-plate clutch should be closed by activating the oil pump.
- XDS® Cross differential lock and electronic differential lock (EDS) for stability control.
- Sport-tuned suspension. Compared to the Golf, the ride height was dropped 0.8 inches, so the all-new Golf R is now 0.2 inches lower than the GTI.
- “Progressive” variable ratio steering rack for improved steering response, increased maximum attainable cornering speeds, and understeer is all but eliminated.
- Available “Driver Selection Modes” that offers three driving modes: Comfort, Normal, and Sport. A special “Race” mode is also available for on-track driving.
- The uprated brakes from the GTI Performance Pack model are carried over to the all-new Golf R. Front 13.4-inch diameter vented disc brakes are 1.2 inches thick with rear rotors measuring 12.2” x 0.9”. Brake pistons are 2.4 inches in the front and 1.7 inches in back.
- The black brake calipers have the R logo design.
- New bumper design with large air inlets and modified radiator grille with R logo.
- R design diffuser, four chrome tailpipes, and R logo on the trunklid.
- Newly developed LED daytime running lights integrated into the standard Bi-Xenon headlight housings that form a distinctive dual “U” design.
- 18-inch “Cadiz” aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/40 tires, R-style side skirts, and R badges on the front fenders.
- Front sport seats and leather seating surfaces.
- Leather trim on the upper and lower grip zones of the three-spoke R sport steering wheel, which has a chrome R logo on its lower cross bar.
- Carbon Touch inlays on the dashboard and door trim panels, as well as ambient lighting in the trim panels.
- Stainless-steel kickplates, pedals and foot support.
- Customized R touchscreen and instruments panel. The 5.8-inch navigation touchscreen features proximity sensors: as a finger is moved near the screen, the system automatically switches to input mode.